What To Look For In The Best Roller Blinds
A good set of roller blinds can be an indispensable addition to any home. But before you go out and choose a set of roller blinds for your windows, it pays to understand what you should look for. In this article, we’re going to take a look at what makes a good set of roller blinds. We’ll also outline the various benefits of roller blinds to help you decide whether they’re right for you.
What is a roller blind?
First of all, let’s define exactly what a roller blind is. Basically, a roller blind is a single piece of fabric that covers your windows and can be raised or lowered depending on your preferences at the time. Most blinds are made of several pieces of either vertical or horizontal fabric which can be controlled using a manual rope or chain. Roller blinds are always made of a single fabric and they can be opened or closed using the chain, which is connected to a ‘roller’ at the top of the window. Some roller blinds can be motorised as well for extra control.
What is the benefit of a roller blind?
In fact, a good roller blind should offer you several benefits, including:
- Temperature control. The extremes of Australian weather conditions can make homes extremely hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. However, air conditioning your home can be an expensive ongoing cost. Roller blinds can reduce the effect of the sun’s heat on your home and furnishings, and can also help to retain warmth in the winter.
- Privacy. During the day (and as long as it’s not too hot!), you may want to open your blinds to let the sun shine in, creating warmth and ambience in your household. However, when it’s nighttime, most of us just want a bit of privacy and the ability to relax in our homes without prying eyes of passers-by looking in. Roller blinds afford this luxury.
- Protection against theft. Many break and enters and home robberies are the result of opportunistic thieves seeing something valuable inside your home and taking action. It follows, then, that if passers-by cannot see into your home, they are less likely to break in. In this sense, roller blinds also offer you peace of mind.
What makes a good roller blind?
Aside from offering all the benefits listed above, roller blinds should be able to be adjusted both manually and automatically, providing the ease of remote control use and the fail-safe option of manual release. Roller blinds should also come in a wide range of colours – both for the fabric and for the roller itself – so that it can be customised to suit your living space.
The best roller blind installation specialists offer further customisable options, such as:
- Roller blinds that allow you to see out, but don’t allow anybody to see in
- Roller blinds that can be linked from window to window so you won’t need additional chains hanging down
- Roller blinds that can be customised for size in order to fit your window space.
- Fireproof roller blinds for high-fire-risk areas.
Roller blinds that complement outdoor features of your home, such as a retractable awning.