How To Clean Mould Off Your Awning [Step By Step Guide]
Awnings are an investment, and the last thing you want is unsightly mould ruining their aesthetic appeal.
So, to help you keep our awning looking pristine all year round, we’ve created this simple step by step guide on how to remove mould from your awning.
Let’s get cleaning!
To Remove Mould From Awnings
What You’ll Need
- A soft bristle brush and/or broom
- A canvas cleaning product or mild soap
- Access to running water
- Use a broom or bristle brush to remove any excess dirt or debris from your awning.
- Create a solution of 1 part cleaning fluid and 10 parts water (1:10) in a bucket. Be careful not to use any soap, bleach, alcohol or solvents as they can damage or stain the fabric.
- Add the cleaning solution to a spray bottle and wet the mouldy areas of the fabric.
- Allow solution to soak and then scrub with a broom or bristle brush.
- Soak for 30 minutes and rinse thoroughly until all residue is removed.
- Allow awning to dry completely before retracting.
How Do I Prevent Mould On My Awning?
Once you’ve cleaned your awning, you’ll probably be curious as to how to best prevent mould growth from returning. To do so, we recommend the below best practices:
1. Dry Your Awning Completely Before Retracting
Mould thrives on moisture, so one of the best ways to prevent mould growth on your awning is to keep it as dry as possible.
This means, where possible, extending your awning and allowing it to dry out completely after cleaning or heavy rainfall before retracting it again.
2. Maintain A Regular Cleaning Routine
While mould won’t grow on canvas itself, a build-up of dust and dirt on your awning creates the perfect conditions for mould to grow and spread.
So, to prevent mould from taking hold, aim to brush down or rinse you awning at least once a month to help prevent dust and debris build up and keep it looking as good as new.
3. Choose A Supplier With Anti-Fungal Fabrics
To ensure your awning stays resistant to mould throughout its lifespan, the best thing you can do is look for a supplier that offers durable, anti-fungal awning fabrics.
All Helioscreen’s retractable awnings are made from long lasting water, UV and mould resistant fabrics, so you can be sure your awning will stay looking pristine for years to come. For more information on our range of durable and stylish retractable awnings, contact us today.